Wednesday 26 March 2014

Retirement : Enjoying the fruits of your labour

Just thought of sharing this story and a little about my background since most people in this financial community are discussing about retirement. From Investopedia, definition of retirement means it is the period when a person chooses to leave the workforce. My definition of retirement is a very big word and a whole new and different step in life. It is the point of enjoying your life forever and ever without financial worries. It is probably the last phase of your life, a carefree one with the least stress ever throughout your existence.

Other than being a child with no worries or stress. I guess the next best phase will be retirement.

Examples of  the worries you have in your phases of life
Teen:  school, homework, studies, getting A's
Young adult:  financial, work, studies, building up a career.
Mid age adult: housing, loans, spouse, marriage, financial.
Adult with kids: children, financial, building a family.

I'm not too sure what worries do retiree have as I have yet to reach that stage. One day, if blogs still exist and I have retired, I will share and note it here :) But right now, from what I observe from my parents, they are really living the life.

Both of my parents have retired for quite some time already. My father about 5-6 years while my mother join in the "retirement" club about 1-2 years later. I would consider us as an average or above average earning income family. My dad was a civil servant serving the nation for 37 years which was his first and very last job. My mother hop around a few jobs, got retrenched once during the SARS period if I recall correctly. Fortunately, my father had an iron rice bowl. Both of them balance their work and family commitment very well, providing ample family bonding time together. We never lack of food, have a roof over our heads and basic necessities are not a problem. I am very privileged to grow up in this family and fortunate to be living in such state. I wouldn't dare ask for more and I am very contented with what I have now.

Now, both of my parents are enjoying their golden years and fruits of labour. I guess they do not have anymore financial worries and stresses because both of my sisters are financially independent already. I am very happy and glad for my parents, they really deserved this life. Having seen them relax and take their time to do whatever they like really makes me envious. There was once my father spent a few weeks flying his kite that he made which reminisce his youth days. He always proclaims to us that during his younger days he was the best kite flyer and he was able to cut down many other kite flyers who competed with him. He always shares with me lots of his real life stories that brings plenty of moral values to it. I roughly can recite a few of his stories because he do repeat them at times. Hahaha. Maybe I should dedicate a blog post to him some day.

Here is another short write up about SGYI's family background. I sincerely respect him for not being afraid to share his background. I sympathize for him because his background is not as fortunate and privileged as mine. But it is great to hear that he is doing very well now, with a positive mindset and a goal in mind.
A little story on SGYI's family background


To end it off
Retirement all depends on personal preference. It is not a rat race whereby whoever retires first is the winner. One can choose to retire at any age as long as you know whether you are capable of doing so. Some people choose not to retire because they rather kill their time at work or they simply love their job too much. Ultimately, one must not forget to enjoy life even if you are retired or working. As long as you are living and breathing, we should lead a happy and go lucky life. Bring a smile along where ever you go. It will not only lighten your mood and brighten your day, it also helps to cheer up the environment around you :)



#YOLO

Cheers!
Little Boy

8 comments:

  1. Big Boy,

    You have your parents as living proof that there are many alternative paths to "retirement".

    It's not like EVERYONE must INVEST or we die! Work until dead. LOL!

    Those who are paid to do what they like are the happiest and luckiest people amongst us - who wants to retire if we can help it?

    There are scaremongers in the financial industry who come out with survey this and survey that - it's all about peddling FEAR and GREED.

    Not everyone likes or have the temperament for the process of investing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SMOL,

      Still a LittleBoy! ;) Hahaha

      Yes, my parents are truly my role model.

      Yup, I couldn't agree more. But it is not always the case where we can get paid doing what we love. Sometimes, we must embrace ourselves and it may eventually turn out in a blessing in disguise.

      Thank you for your wise words once again.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Hi there,

    No wonder I receive some traffic from your site. Haha. I'm glad your parents can retire as many are not so fortunate to do so. I have a few colleagues who're almost in their 60s and they can't retire also. Mostly the result of poor financial planning and overspending during their younger days. On the other hand, I've seen some colleagues retire comfortably in their 50s and this was due to good financial planning. This is what motivates me to plan for the future. I hear from both sides and this gives me an idea on which path to take.

    I'm fortunate to be exposed to the working world at a young age. Many valuable advices I've received from my older colleagues. Each of them can have different outcomes even though they earn the same income and work in the same environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SGYI,

      Apologies for not asking your permission to list a link of yours. I sincerely hope you don't mind.

      Yup, I'm glad they have retired and enjoying their fruits of labour. Yes, ultimately it all lies on financial planning. Having a good and well foresighted plan for your future will probably get you there some day. With dedication, commitment and some passion in it, anything is achievable.

      Delete
  3. I agree. Retirement is about enjoying the fruits of our labor. People work hard most of their life, so they deserve to have a good time when they retire, just like your parents. They are a good example of couples who retire with style. Some think that it’s difficult to do. But in my opinion, it’s only a matter of planning. The longer the planning period and saving, the better. Cheers!

    Greg Grimsley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg,

      Thank you so much for visiting my humble blog.

      Yes but in SG, it is rather difficult to retire at an early age given our high standard of living. Some people literally become a work horse just to pay off their loans from housing, cars, etc.

      Yup. As a saying goes, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

      Cheers! :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying your retirement is one of the sweetest thing you could have after doing all that hard work over the years. However, it takes several years, if not decades, before you can fully achieve it. At present, it’s important to be wise when handling one’s finances. That way, attending to one's needs won’t be a primary problem, at the very least. Good day!

    Rebecca Cross @ Advanced Accounts

    ReplyDelete