Tuesday 4 March 2014

Russian & Ukraine Situation

For the benefit of those who are living under the rock or don't read up to any current news. Let me share with you that Russia & Ukraine are in the brink of going to war which I definitely hope not (Fingers crossed). I do not want to see blood shed and the killing of own human species. Sometimes I do wonder, in this 21st century, why are there still so many political crisis going on? Don't people learn from past mistakes?

A quick summary on why it happen

From my own knowledge and own reading through online news (Please fill me in if there are more details to it), the underlying reasons for the Russia & Ukraine crisis are the decades of tension between Europe and Russia. Since Ukraine is sandwiched between Russia and Europe, Russia wish to cast a dominating figure over Ukraine and certainly hold as much control over Ukraine. 

So how did this situation escalate so quickly that Russia invaded Crimea?

1. Back in November 2013, Ukraine President rejected a trade deal with the EU and instead favour Russia deal. This led to 3 months of massive protest and the eventual ousted of President Viktor Yanukovych.

2. President Viktor Yanukovych was overthrow on the 22 February 2014.

3. A new political leader arise which was generally supported by the West.

4. Not to forget Eastern Ukraine are closer to Russia side and most people speaks Russian or of Russian descendant root. These people loyalty lies more towards Russia. Hence, the uprising of the new interim government spark unhappiness and anger in them, leading to further demonstrations. 

5. This feeling was more intense and hugely demonstrated in Crimea. 

6. Russia made use of this reason to invade Crimea and claimed that they are merely "saving the people". (Honestly, I don't think that is a very valid reason. They may have other motive which I am unsure of)

So I guess this pretty much sums up what happen these few weeks. I hope I have enlightened some people here.

Anyway to keep you updated. This very latest piece of news I read.
"KIEV - Russia's Black Sea Fleet has told Ukrainian forces in Crimea to surrender by 5 a.m. (0300 GMT) on Tuesday or face a military assault, Interfax news agency quoted a source in the Ukrainian Defense Ministry as saying."

(This is extremely worrying and I do not wish to see a WW3. A war will see stock market crash and to many other ripple effect.) 

Some interesting insights:

End of the day, I doubt the US and Europe have the financial capabilities to go into a war now. Even if sanctions are to be made by the West. It will still be the West who are deeply affected and not Russia. Besides that, Russia have their neighbours China and other smaller countries like Cyprus for economical support. 

So is sanctions enough to stop Russia? I don't think so. 
I am hoping for a mutual agreement or a peace agreement. And If that does not work out, "THEY" always believe war is the last resort. 

(All of these are based on my own analysis, reader discretion advised)

Cheers,
Little Boy 


2 comments:

  1. Little Boy,

    People riot, revolt, and go to war especially when there's nothing to lose.

    Human nature has not changed for the past 5,000 years. Only the tools of war have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SMOL,

    Great to see you back here. It's been a little while hearing from you :) Thanks for visiting my blog again.

    True. To see how much man have revolutionize so much after all these years but still have this simple minded thinking is ridiculous. Funny how Man think ah?

    ReplyDelete