Wednesday 30 April 2014

Sell In May And Go Away?

A scary taboo, "Sell in May and go away".

Hmm. I'm just wondering whether this taboo will happen again this year.

It happened last year and it was my 1st year experiencing this encounter. I saw many counters especially the REITS getting whack down. Similarly, STI was at the peak of 3.49 but it came falling down to 3.20 and below in the May Period.



I will hold my war chest at the moment and see what is valuable to invest into. Meanwhile, I will try to stay away from the market for this period (May - July). I predict it will be a very low and dull period during this 3 months because of World Cup. Moreover, the last 3 World Cup have proven this lull period.

So why does this taboo happens? I guess nobody really knows. Even Investopedia cannot really have a definite answer : Sell In May And Go Away - Investopedia Defintion

Happy Investing!

Cheers!

Little Boy


10 comments:

  1. If you have the confidence in your stocks, why need to be bother about the May phenomenon? What does "long term investments" means to you? Don't be distracted by market noise. Set an exit/entry strategy for all your investments.

    Regards,
    SG Wealth Builder
    www.sgwealthbuilder.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerald,

      True enough, market noises are just a distraction. Thank you for your advice.

      Yeap, I'm still holding on to my long positions. I'm just getting ready to use my War Chest if necessary.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Little Boy,

    There is definitely more to life than the stock market ;)

    World cup!!!!

    Don't bet too big. Enough to have some excitement can already :)

    Hope in my lifetime Singapore can participate in the World cup. No need to win; just qualify I happy like bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SMOL,

      Yessss! I'm really looking forward to World Cup! Will be an exciting one this year. Especially in the Group of "D"eath (Uruguay, England, Italy and Costa Rica)

      So who are you supporting this year for World Cup?

      No lah, I don't do soccer betting. It's not my kind of thing :)

      This reminds me of Goh Chok Tong's ambition of Singapore entering 2010 World Cup. We are not even close there yet. Watching S-League alone already feel like vomiting blood. Not much entertainment value since players cannot even string proper passes.

      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Small Boy,

      I miss the Singapore football's golden period of the 70s - Dollah Kassim, Quah Kim Song, and S. Rajagopal!!!


      I support England and Brazil in the World Cup :)

      Delete
    3. I have no idea about those names you mentioned. But just now, when I asked my father, his face suddenly lit up and sounds so interested. He said "those were the days when SG soccer was at her best and it's a pity they are in different era".

      Wow, England. Hahaha. Always a disappointment in WC.

      Delete
  3. I saw this a few days back as well. Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it, but given that prices have risen quite a bit in the last 2 months, I would hold back if I am thinking of buying something new. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MakingCentsSG,

      Yup, that is when your war chest will come into play :)

      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Great blog post..,short and effective, suggesting the traders get and Best SGX stock picks holding the stocks till the month of may, and then having a profitable selling in market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sofiya,

      Thank you once again for visiting my humble blog :)

      Cheers!

      Delete